Thursday, May 1, 2008

Review - Keane (2004)



Notable Cast/Crew:
Damian Lewis - William Keane (Protagonist)
Steve Sodebergh - Producer
I stumbled upon Keane purely because I saw Damian Lewis on Life.
The film starts off very slowly and continues to be so, so if you're not a fan of slow films this would be your exit. That aside, Keane is a very provoking film. If you can call it a film, because I don't think it can be called a movie in the traditional sense. Damian Lewis gives a heart rending performance as a father who is looking for his missing 6 year old daughter Sophie. The movie follows Keane on his meandering journey and picks up a few disturbing details along the way.

*Spoiler Warning*
In the opening scenes of the film, William Keane is a guy looking for his missing six year old daughter; who had abducted from near a bus station roughly six months ago. As the film progresses however, you start to see sides of Keane which make you start to question his mental stability. Or whether he even has a daughter. The film moves forward inexorably slowly, each scene delicately peeling off the varied layers that make up the psyche of William Keane.
Is he simply a distraught father finally turning to substance abuse? Or is he a paranoid schizophrenic off on a quixotic quest in his own drug fogged universe?
There are some heartbreaking moments in the film, such as Keane befriending a little girl called Kira, thus bringing out his paternal instincts. The scene where he helps her wash her hair while he cleans the dishes just made me want to cry out for someone to help this man.
The film is a departure from most, especially in terms of camera work; which is mostly hand held and follows Keane through his dark tunnel- vision life.
I don't want to say anymore or I'll just end up waxing eloquent about the film. And possibly spoil it for you.
A word of warning though. This isn't a film about bad guys or good guys. It isn't a film where someone falls in love. And it isn't a film that makes you cry or a film that makes you happy.
It's just a few days in the life of a troubled man, William Keane.
I liked it. That's all I can say.
The rest is up to you.

-------------
A/N - If you liked this, you may want to watch other films by the director - Lodge Kerrigan. He has a lot of movies covering this subject.

2 comments:

Wolfestine said...

On your recommendation, I did watch the movie. Unfortunately it was too slow for my mood that day (too much on my mind, exams coming up). I fast forwarded a few scenes in order to see if the story moves forward, only to realize that the only way I could do it justice would be to watch it again on a day when I am in the mood for a slow movie. In the meanwhile, I think I'll try out Layer Cake

The Red Queen said...

It's not a movie for everyone. Especially not before exams. If you want a before exams kinda movie, I suggest you watch Layercake, or the Baker.
Layercake is definitely a winner.The Baker is good fun.